Thomas E. Clark Jr. JD, LLM
Tom Clark is a partner at The Wagner Law Group, a certified woman owned law firm specializing in ERISA & Employee Benefits. He manages the firm’s St. Louis office. His expertise encompasses all aspects of employee benefits, including the design, implementation and compliance of retirement plans, health and welfare plans, and executive and incentive compensation arrangements. He also has a robust practice assisting service providers such as investment advisors and third party administrators in meeting their ERISA compliance needs. His vast litigation experience includes defending plan sponsors and service providers and has included work on landmark ERISA cases such as Tibble v. Edison decided by the US Supreme Court. Tom also regularly defends ERISA fiduciaries against investigations by the Department of Labor and IRS, and is often retained to assist in resolving pre-litigation disputes, thus avoiding the cost and uncertainty of a court battle.
Tom has been quoted extensively as an ERISA and employee benefits expert by outlets such as Reuters, the Associated Press, Bloomberg, and Forbes. He regularly travels the country speaking to groups of ten to two thousand about important ERISA and employee benefits topics. Tom has taught ERISA Fiduciary Law as an Adjunct Professor at The Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, his alma mater, for the past six years.
Washington University School of Law – St. Louis, MO (May 2008)
LL.M. in Taxation; Employee Benefits Focus
Washington University School of Law – St. Louis, MO (May 2007)
Notre Dame London Law Centre – London, England (Summer 2005)
Courses in European Union Law and International Human Rights Law.
The College of New Jersey – Ewing, NJ (May 2004)
B.S., Economics, cum laude
- Missouri (July 2007)
- Illinois (February 2008)
- Southern District of Illinois (October 2008)
- Eastern District of Missouri (September 2014)
- American Bar Association (2008-present)
- Missouri Bar Association (2008-present)
- American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries (ASPPA) (2015-present)
- National Association of Plan Advisors (NAPA) (2015-present)
- Retirement Advisors and Designers of America (RADA) (2016-present)
- Plan Consultant Magazine Editorial Board (2016-present)
- Betterment for Business Advisory Board (2015-present)
- The College School, Board of Trustees (2017-present)
- Friends of Arch Grants, Founding Board Member (2013-2016)